Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pizza Land Pizza



Over there by Grower's Direct and The Meat House is a pizza joint called Pizza Land. It's been there for as long as I've been going to Grower's Direct; fairly recently a banner has been up announcing new owners. I hadn't tried this place due to the poor Yelp reviews in the past. But with new ownership, I figured I'd check it out. Besides, I love pizza and had no idea what I'd be eating for dinner.

When I parked in front of Grower's Direct, I walked over to Pizza Land in the shared parking lot, picked-up and perused a paper tri-fold menu outside which included appetizers, sandwiches, pasta dishes, soups, salads, side dishes, and desserts, in addition to Sicilian deep-dish style pizzas.

I bypassed the open dining area and at the counter toward the back of the restaurant, placed an order for a 12" Works (pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, onion, bell pepper, black olives). One of the co-owners took my order and was very nice and friendly. According to him (Milad, if I remember right), Pizza Land has an expanded menu compared to when the previous owner(s) were in charge. Milad informed me that the place has been renovated, which was exceptionally clean and the decor comfortable.

And I found out that I might be within delivery range, which would be very nice, particularly if this pie turns out fabulously.

Once the order was placed and the pie paid for (while AmEx is not accepted here, Visa's are), I shopped Grower's Direct and The Meat House. By then my pizza was ready; once carefully placed on the dash of the truck, I sped for home.

The box is one seen from many places. I like that they don't spend money on personalized boxes as that indicates more money toward ingredients, which is where it should be. There was a piece of advertisement attached to the box with their phone number on it. I did wonder what was cut from the corner of the ad.


When I opened the box, I was happy to see toppings loaded on a thick crust, just as I'd anticipated. The ingredients appeared to be fresh, even the mushrooms and green peppers. Not shown are the packets of parmesan and pepper flakes.

The crust was soft and chewy with a slight crisp, not at all overly-salted. While not as thick as I'm accustomed to when it comes to Sicilian-style crusts, it was thicker than the other pies I've had in CA. The sauce could use a little jazz in my opinion. After all, my favorite pizza is my favorite due to the exceptional sauce. The toppings were evenly loaded and distributed.


Overall, this pizza was decent but not what I'd consider exceptional. Considering the price, it is certainly worth getting again, especially if it is delivered!

12" Pizza Land Works, about $14.


0 comments: