Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Samyang Ramen

Ramen, ready to eat straight from the pan.

Without a food plan for the week, I turned to a regular staple in my pantry, Samyang Ramen. I buy cases of the stuff. And in each case are 20 of these packages:

Dad calls this the "geriatric" ramen as it is not insanely spicy-hot.

I get water, 500 cc or about 2 cups, on to boiling over a high flame. While waiting for the boil to become raging, I open the package and get the veggie and seasoning packets ready. And I'll grab an egg from the fridge.


Once the water is at a dangerous looking boil, I add the brick of noodles, followed immediately by the veggie and spice packet components.


After a couple minutes, I flip the noodle brick.


And add an egg.


As soon as the egg is cooked completely, the heat is shut off. The ramen stands a minute or two to cool off and the noodles to finish cooking.


This entire procedure takes about 7 minutes. If it takes you 10 minutes, you have a crap stove-top or have overcooked your egg/noodles. Please don't do that.


Dinner like this runs about $1.


4 comments:

Laura said...

Lately I've been picking up tons of shiritaki noodles from both Whole Foods and some Japanese markets - this looks like a good way to use them. Question about the egg though - do you mix it in? Just let it sit on the side as one poached blog?

The Cook said...

Well, Laura, it sort of depends on my mood. If I feel like have a poached egg, I leave the egg blob in there. If I feel like having egg dispersed, I break it up.

When having ramen "plain" like I did in this post, I tend to leave the egg whole as I'll eat the noodles with chopsticks.

Should I add things, such as a small fish fillet, shrimp, mushrooms, sprouts, green onions etc., I will break the egg up and eat with a fork/spoon.

The thing about breaking the egg is that you'll have small egg bits. I don't consume the broth and only like the flavor/noodle-wetting component of it; a good portion of egg bits remain dispersed in the broth -- unless the bits are scooped up with the chunkier added ingredients.

Ultimately, it's personal preference.

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry said...

Ramen noodles are so great for a quick inexpensive meal. The addition of the egg is a really good idea. I'll have to try that. Thanks.

The Cook said...

The addition of egg was something Mom did when we were kids and it just stuck with me. Ramen just doesn't seem right without that protein!